Thursday 10 March 2011

Day 91: Initial ideas

I explored initial ideas for a Bauhaus Barbie photoshoot and found that this title gives me the space to really explore my creativity.
I found it hard to sketch ideas with only books as inspiration, so the next step would be to find locations for shoots, use the location, barbie and bauhaus inspiration to design costumes and then work on the composition of shots.
By taking on all the roles in a photoshoot the result should be as I wanted, with my direction and inspiration all linked between fields.
Whilst only in the initial stages of designing costumes and finding locations, I decided to use the barbie books and start experimenting with make up and photoshop. From the pictures below I have discovered that these are the stereotypical barbie doll look and whilst barbies have changed over the last 50 years, the basics, like make up, has stayed the same. This leads me to an important decision, to represent a modern Bauhaus Barbie do I change and reinvent the make up? or continue it in the style of Barbie.


I started by using photoshop, smart blur, contrast and colour to edit the initial photo.  The effect I found worked best was the smart blur which gave my skin a flawless, plastic effect.

Next I used liquify to enlarge and narrow certain areas of the face. By widening the eyes the image becomes less realistic, this leads me to what technique I want to use, whether to edit the entire face to make it look as doll like as possible or keep it more realistic. I wanted to see if the liquify effect would work on another picture, on the right hand side is my second attempt and shows how experimentation can go horribly wrong! The mdoels face has been over liquified and now looks deformed. I can prevent this in the future by only editing afew areas before it starts to manipulate the face too much.


No comments:

Post a Comment