Monday 14 March 2011

Day 93: Photography Taster Week

The first day has included using a film camera for the first time and using a 4 by 5 camera.

I have only ever used a digital camera so to be able to spend the day using a film camera was very exciting. I found it very tricky getting used to setting the various shutter speed and aperture, as once taken you cannot review the photo and make adjustments. The main positive I found was that I was cautious as to what to shoot, with only 35 pictures on a film, and two films I did not want to waste film. Whereas on a digital I would take a picture of anything, the film made me really consider each photo and composition before.

Below is the photo I took from the 4 by 5 camera and processed it in the dark room. The first one went wrong as without realising I had already exposed the light sensitive paper to light whilst it had film lying on top. When it came to then projecting the 4 by 5 image it was projected on top. Whilst it went wrong, I like how it gives the image a different and unusual look.

Below is the final 4 by 5 image. It was really interesting learning how to use a camera of that size and all about the process of how the camera works.
Whilst it was great to learn, I dont think I would be rushing back to use it again! Whilst it does give the photograph a different look and a more interesting process, it takes alot longer time to take and process than digital.

No comments:

Post a Comment