Tuesday 14 September 2010

Day 2: Sensory Drawing

Sensory Drawing

Tasks
  • create a sculpture and hide in a bag
  • 4 sketches- with a partner describing the object, touching, not looking at page and final observation
  • 4 sketches- continuous line drawing looking at page, in graphic language, tonal drawing and texture.
Below are pictures of the drawings I skecthed

      At the start we discussed the meaning of drawing. This obvious term has many connotations and messages within a simple topic. Through reflection i have gained an insight into the process to discover, imagine and record. I found the process in which i was restricted to a sense (e.g touch) made me realise the importance of taking an object for what it is and constantly glancing to achieve a true portrayal  instead of working from memory or imagination.

      The second stage was where i could personally excel as whilst i wasn't impressed with the line drawing i was inspired when it came to the graphic code. I created the code raning from 1-5 in order of shade, 1 being the lightest area of my object. I sketched my object (a peg) using these numbers. The method was a sub-conscious connection to my childhood when i used to paint in the shapes different colours according to the number. This idea has sparked my imagination and i have noted this idea down to come back to at a later date. The texture and tonal drawing i felt i could really focus and capture every detail of the object. The task gave my senses a feeling of empowerment with strength to stand alone. It's also made me consider artists which have an impairment of some sort and how they achieve their work by using their other strengths.
      Artists
      Claude Monet
      Monet wouldn't stop painting untl he was nearly blind and in the last decade of his life Monet, nearly blind, painted water lily murals.

      http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/famous-blind.shtml

      No comments:

      Post a Comment