Tuesday 21 September 2010

Day 7: Line, Plane, Volume

Exploring Space

Tasks
  • use a previous drawing to trace negative spaces
  • cut out the shapes on card
  • create a 3D sculpture using the shapes as planes
  • revisit drawing and identify key lines to add to sculpture
  • revisit drawing and identify volume to add to sculpture
  • produce a new sculpture that represents the theme 
To the right hand side are pictures of my 2D and 3D drawings
    Analysis
    The first stage in which we had to find negative spaces was a great excercise to begin with as it really made me consider how I can manipulate 2D drawings into shapes which I can lift off the page to create a 3D object. I experienced the same negative effect which happened afew days ago where I felt out of my comfort zone as I have previously enjoyed working to perfection whereas this was very expressive. From the past few weeks I am understanding the saying "its the journey not the destination" alot more. Each time I experiment with other methods and techniques I am constantly being inspired with ideas which get recorded on this blog.
    I found when I cut out a range of shapes I was attracted to one in particular and therefore decided to multiply that shape. By mistake I was gradually making the archway smaller
    due to the cutting technique and template I used, in the end this turned out to be a 'lightbulb moment'! I continued to cut in this style as when placed together it looked as if it was a bridge or tunnel which you could look through but with a perspective. Whilst I loved the idea, making it support itself was alot harder than I had considered, therefore as a temporary support I used bluetack.

    The idea of re visiting the original drawing I enjoyed as I was inspired by the line qualities but at this point I decided to start a new project. Whilst I want to develop my initial idea I was inspired with a range of mark makings in the drawing and thought these would be most expressive on a larger scale. I used the left over card which created unusual shapes to work on top of. I was not impressed with this particular 3D sculpture as it had no dominant structure or shape but that helped me move on to create another object with very rigid edges and a firm pattern. I weaved pieces of paper together to create a flower like object which could be manipulated in many ways but still form a similar shape. To represent volume within this object I used the stereotypical petal shape within the weave.

    I chose the word 'Scale' to represent within a sculpture as instead of working on one i created today or making an entirely new one I have decided to use my initial idea of how perspective is a result of scale. By keeping the shape and structure simple the entire focus can be on perspective.
    Overall I have found the day very beneficial as I had never explored how 2D drawings can be turned into 3D and I can apply this technique into any aspect of art.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment