Thursday 16 September 2010

Day 4: Gestalt Drawing

Gestalt Drawing


Tasks
  • tape 2 A1 sheets together and create a background in graphite using a range of marks.
  • use a rubber and remove sections then work back into it
  • move to someone's drawing and work on theirs
  • return to your original drawing and recognise objects 
  • rub out again and turn upside down, identify another object/ scene
Analysis

The meaning of Gestalt drawing was an uncontrollable expression through shade, form, figure or pattern. It was the process of discovery, which doesn't have to have a beginning or and end but lots of conclusions. I have found this task very physically demanding aswell as mentally. Whist i could endure the physical paini found the process of 'letting loose' out of my comfort zone. I have previously been a very controlled and small scale artist whereas this highlighted other techniques to create texture. I found it a struggle during the first two stages but when transferring to another persons work i felt i could start a fresh and improve theirs easily. When i returned i was also very pleased with the results as where i had been scared to remove recognisable shapes, my colleague had created another layer of abstraction on top. My favourite part of the task was identifying objects or scenes within a range of textures and rubbings. I could express my creativeness and found myself helping others with suggestions to what they could develop their work into. Whilst i found this enjoyable the first time due to the majority of the canvas being dark therefore highlighting light areas which could easily be developed, on the other hand the second time i struggled due to the canvas being alot lighter. This therefore meant that there were more possibilities as to what it could be. I decided initially on a holly leaf, created it simply and then changed my mind so rubbed half out, flipped it ad created a waterfall scene. I then changed my mind again and created a tree. I was not happy with my final artwork but it was the process which had the biggest impact.

Below are pictures of my work and the various steps
Use a range of marks

Work on a colleagues




Rub out two thirds
Identify a scene: Campfire







Identify another object
Changed my mind again



No comments:

Post a Comment