Monday 20 September 2010

Day 6: Animation Taster

Tasks
  • animation lecture
  • sketch 40 frames using a self portrait and another image and morphing into another portrait created by a colleague 
Lecture
Meaning of the word 'animation' -illusion of movement created by the frame by frame manipulation of images. Originated from Phenakistoscope 1872 (bird and cage coin) and Zeotrope 1867.

I have never studied animation before as it wasn't immediately appealing to me but I found the history to the art very interesting. The main message within it the lecture was the point in which it becomes an optical illusion and therefore tricks the mind. I never realised the vast amount of sub headings there are within animation but as Andy Wyatt was describing each one, I was able to relate them to films and programmes I see on a daily basis. I was shocked with the notion that a five minute film could take up to three or four years. Not only does animation use alot of patience but it is very flexible in terms that it can be done anywhere, anytime, giving the freedom to express creativity. I found the lecture really interesting but i believe that alot of that was down to the way in which it was presented with lots of videos and pictures which made it visually attracting.

Artists
Feet of Song by Erica Russel
Russel uses thick and expressive ink drawings to create a simple but very effective animation. The rhythm in her work plays a vital part giving the characters a life. I found I enjoyed watching this animation as I found the movement very beautiful, which makes me reflect on my passion for dancing. After the lecture I researched deeper into her work and found another animation called Triangle Dance.
Feet f http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYAblP07a5E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmwo38wtf-o


Dimensions of dialogue by Jan Svanmayer- uses everyday materials
Muto bu Blu- graffiti on wall
Honda GRRRR by Smith and Faulkes- 'Hate something' advert
http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=KagSgWKaE_8

Analysis of Task

When creating my self portrait I wanted to stay clear of the stereotypical face on view and therefore created an insecure portrayal of myself by facing the opposite way. I also represented this through holding my hair up creating an awkward posture. I then created an oxymoron within my work but chosing waves within water, as to me they reflect freedom and a wild nature. By using two extremes it allows viewers to relate to both personalities.
In the first stage of drawing I was excited as I had just watched a ten minute long animation but reality kicked in and I realised it is going to be a long process to create at least 40 frames for just a 5 second clip. I found the task very repetitive and only managed to create 16 frames, without detail! I therefore need to makes sure i can get them completed and detailed by Friday.

Composition- I morphed my portrait by extending my hair after removing my hands from my head as a sign of release. It extends around my body and into a wave which is created through multiple frames and finally the wave breaking. I plan on morphing it into another colleagues portrait through a glass of water within her portrait which can merge into my wave.

Below are my intial key frames without any detail

No comments:

Post a Comment