Wednesday 29 September 2010

Day 13: Lecture and Life Drawing

Lecture and Life Drawing

Lecture: What is a line?- Isolde Pullum
Below is a picture of my notes from the lecture, exploring line!


This lecture really made me think, how is a line created? Through careful thought and discussion I have come to the conclusion that an observational line is due to tonal values of objects around you. To prove this I have used an object and a piece of white paper, as the darker tone of the object contrasts within the white a 'border' is created to separate the objects and therefore creates the lines we see and draw.
An amazing fact I never realised was that pencils were only discovered roughly 500 years ago. Considering the amount of art made Pre 15th Century  shows the huge development in which art has evolved. Before pencil was discovered artists used graphite, charcoal and chalk. Before graphite artists such as Albrecht Durer used metalpoint.
Th lecture was mainly on different ways in which you could use materials and techniques to manipulate the final outcome and the message. I have found all the lectures really interesting as each covers such a huge topic area that everyone can relate to. This lecture confirmed my practice of drawing, painting and manipulating materials. One key quote which I liked was Paul Klee, drawing is as if you are 'taking line for a walk' and contrasting this it has a 'series of appointments'. Turner also comments by drawing he is 'locking his hand to his eye'.
Another fascinating idea is illusory space. The idea in which dark, heavy and sharply focused lines appear nearer than pale, thin and fuzzy lines that recede into the background. Below right is an example of how this can effect a drawing, giving it dis equilibrium in this case.

To conclude the lecture was  left with the question, Why do we see the world in lines? As above I explained why we see them but I have also considered other reasons such as we originally used gestures like pointing to something which creates a mental line and how drawing lines is universal.

Artists
An amazing diagram of the idea and drawing process has been ironically created on a tube map by Stephen Farthing, I found this so intriguing to read and analyse as I could personally go through and relate myself to the artwork. Below is the link to the PDF file for his artwork.
www.stephenfarthing.com/pdf/map.pdf
Tonal Value- Stephen Braund










Metalpoint- Albrecht Durer









John Raynes- Natural History Museum- broad variety of line qualities
George Stubbs- Anatomy of a horse- close detail
Leonardo Da Vinci- A bear wlking- speculative lines (still woman in background)
Henry Moore- Sheep no. 43- generalised lines
John Sloan- Nude drawings- etching
Richard Long- walking line- man made
Andy Goldsworthy- The wall the went for a walk


Life Drawing

Task 
  • draw 4 sketches of the model in four different positions, each 20 minutes

    Analysis
    Today was my first life drawing class of the term. I was very anxious heading into the studio as I am certainly not known for my life drawing! I have previously only participated in one life drawing class and to be honest, I found it a nightmare! I could never get any proportions right and I was never vry good at drawing figures anyway.
    In contrast to this I have thoroughly enjoyed the class today as even at the end of today's session I had improved. By doing the measurement drawings for the past two days I found I had conquered the technique and therefore managed to draw correct proportions of the model. I also found I was picking up on smaller details than before due to the technique. When reflecting on the finished work, it doesnt look finished! My first life drawing, although the proportions are right, it took me so long to get the right size I was not able to add much detail, therefore turning out as very simple line drawings. I also was overcautious in terms of the tone of the line, making it light enough to rub out and therefore the liens are also very faint.
    From this first life drawing experience I have been able to improve my basic skills of figure drawing and also practice measuring techniques.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment