Wednesday 22 September 2010

Day 8: Contextual Lecture

Drawing

"drawing"- making marks on a surface (often by dragging) that express or represent an idea"
"drawing like a piano, can be learnt'

  • drawing is a universal language
  • drawing can be an expression of the inner world
  • drawings can be improvised (links to subconsciousness)
  • drawing show how much imagery can be coaxed from imagination and memory (sensory drawings)
3 Styles of Drawing:
  1. Personal language of drawing
  2. Recording and analysing material world
  3. Ideas through visulisation

    Artists
    Julie Mehretu- Huge layered drawings, strong architecture features, instinctive drawings
    Albrecht Durer- Wood engravings, man drawing through a lense, old drawing techniques
    Sarah Simlett- Anatomical drawing, what she draws cannot be done through photography
    Julia Quensler- Court room illustrator
    Paul Nash, Christopher Nevinson and Muirhead Bone- War art
    Giorgio Morandi- Obsessive relationship, same vessels on same table
    Nicola Hicks- Cross fertilises, observational drawings
    Richard Rogers- Digital drawing
    Frank Gehry- Impressionistic, loose (Nederlanden building)
    Robert Crumb- Comic Illustrator
    Chris Orr- Iconic and ironic


    Anaylsis
    I found this lecture interesting in terms of facts and the vast variety of artists but I believe the way in which the lecture was performed was not very creative, therefore lost alot of student's attention very quickly. Whilst I took lots of notes and digest the information I found myself thinking about other things and doodling. I don't think this is a bad thing as I am constantly being inspired and in that lecture aswell as getting all the context of drawing I found myself walking away with ideas in which i could perform a lecture to make it visually stimulating and include the audience. Videos, pictures and constant audience interaction I believe would engage art students maybe more than reading as I enjoy and find most effective 'hands on' learning and getting involved.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment