Tuesday 19 April 2011

Day 107: Costume 3 cont.

After the skirt being so successful yesterday I was predicting something to go wrong today! Nothing went majorly wrong but I had lots of problems to solve. As the skirt was very simple in keeping the flag straight and conventional, I wanted to explore the flags patterns within the corset. I cut out the patterns on paper which I then transferred to the flags but on a slant. 
The major problem I encountered was when I had all the pieces cut and pinned but did not know how to attach them together. Sewing would take a long time and I have not had much experience so would not get the outcome I wanted. I experimented with pinning and tacking but the shape of the corset would change too much. In the end I used double sided tape for each section as it held the shape but obviously as it was tape I was not sure as to how long it would hold. I decided the tape would be ok because I have to remind myself that the costume is for a fashion shoot and is needed to look effectively but doesn't have to be made perfectly.
the flag corset pinned
paneling the flags
Sleeves pinned
unfinished sleeves
The sleeves were very simple compared to other parts of the dress. I used the flag scraps to tack (sew) onto the inner sleeve then folded the material back on itself. This meant I could make the ruffles and change the size and shape aswell. I was surprised as to how heavy the sleeves turned out to be with the extra fabric so may have to stitch parts on the day of the shoot if the sleeves do not hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment