Friday 1 October 2010

Day 15: Futures Lecture

Careers Advice, UCAS and Animation
Today's lectures were very useful as I currently have no idea in what I would like to go on and do after my foundation year. The careers advice went through possible options which I had considered such as undergraduate degree, gap year or work placements. I particularly was interested with apprenticeships as it would be a great way to get into the business and learn quickly, but my situation is that I don't know what business I want to go into! My dream would be to travel and do voluntary work around the world and the lecturer commented that after foundation would be the perfect time to travel as after degree level it is best to be available in the job market. On the one hand I would love to do this but it would be very hard to fund. I have a particular interest in the media world, in terms of film production, public relation and events management but I fear that these vocations are very specific and I would not like to commit to a 3 year degree when I am not sure whether I want to study that area. Work was also mentioned as a possibility to go straight into after foundation but after working through my a levels and summer I want to take full advantage of the education and opportunities available to me.

The UCAS talk was rather daunting as whilst I predicted it would be a fast pace year I didn't realise within the first 2 weeks we would have to start considering what we want to do after the year. I have a rough idea of the UCAS process as previous colleagues have recently gone through the process. Applications close on the 15th January 2011 and therefore I need to get researching possible courses and universities. I will also try and go to open days but this may be tricky due to travel and time.

The animation lecture was interesting in terms of learning about the different stages of production and the amount of people involved. The main thing I have taken from the lecture are the list of qualities someone would want to be an animator (I believe that this list applies to anyone who wants to be an artist):

  • creative ideas
  • passion
  • drawing skills
  • organization
  • team player
  • technical skills
When it comes to writing my personal statement I will look back at these qualities and make sure I have included how I have these qualities.

Below is the link to Andy Wyatt's YouTube Page with some animations he has created.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Eggtoons

No comments:

Post a Comment