Monday 11 October 2010

Day 21: Fabric and Form

Fabric and Form

Tasks:
  1. create 3 models/ forms with structure out of fabric and other materials
  2. develop one or all of the forms 
Ways in which you could create form
  • piping
  • folding
  • laser cutting with repetition 
  • cutwork
  • exaggerating form
  • use other materials
  • darting
Artists Inspiration
Hussein Chalayan 2000-I had briefly seen this amazing piece of structure before but by studying into form I have really begun to appreciate not only the design but the multi-functional use for this skirt which turns into a table top by Chalayan.



Today has been my most enjoyable day so far. I feel like I could really explore the properties of fabric freely and produce an interesting form. I found that the more stitching I made, the stronger the form became. Other things I noticed were that the form alone looked unfinished but when placed on a mannequin as a sleeve or part of a garment it took a different shape and looked like it had an actual use. Each stitch I made, gave it a skeleton. Whilst everyone was happy using scrap pieces of material, I wanted to use a variety to create different textures and forms, therefore bought some interesting and unusual materials (had to improvise as on a low student budget!) . When getting advice from my teacher they suggested that I needed to develop the form side instead of textures. After this comment I noticed that on previous occasions others had also suggested this to me, therefore highlighting an interest I have into texture which I was not aware of! Whilst working today I was constantly referring to my worksheet I created to help with ideas, developments, problem solving and noting techniques. This will help me when it comes to continuing work on my garment and I look forward to finishing the garment next week.




No comments:

Post a Comment