Friday 8 October 2010

Day 20: Futures Lecture


Andy Currie- Kinetic Sculpture
Andy Currie showed clips from his 2009 exhibition, Turbulence. I found his artwork very inspirational as he engages with the viewer, even though his artwork has a complex outcome, his materials and making is very simple. He describes his study and aim to ‘facilitate movement, not choreograph’. Some artists have a very specific message they want to put across but anyone can relate to Curries artwork and he enjoys that fact in which people comment it reminds me of…, as it gives the artwork a new life.  
I am always intrigued into which artists other artists take inspiration from. Currie was interested in abstraction during his degree and studied Jeremy Savill, then later looked into Frank Coombsey and Henry Moore to study essence rather than visual. Some things Currie said I felt I could really relate to, like he mentioned he use to question himself when creating artwork looking for a meaning, whereas he now realises that therefore restricts creativity and gave the advice to go for it and create anything without thinking twice.


Universal Jewellery- Ester
“JEWELLERY BINDS HUMAN CULTURE TOGETHER”
I have never really tried jewellery making but I love wearing jewellery! Ester showed some pictures of ancient jewellery, which I recognised, but I was more intrigued by the contemporary jewellery, they looked more like mini sculptures than pieces of jewellery! Damien Hirst’s For The Love Of God Skull is still a ‘wow’ piece of art, which is very entrancing.
Nora Fok creates huge rings, which are beautifully sculpted and on a very large scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment