Wednesday 20 October 2010

Day 28: Contextual lecture and St Ives

Contextual Lecture- Modernism

I fund that as I have not done alot of Art History, if any, that I am really interested in learning about art movements and how it has developed.
The Main Themes in Modernism:
  • Freedom from realism
  • Delight in the light of the outdoors
  • Surface and abstraction
  • Truth to materials
  • Advances in engineering, global travel and exploration
  • Influence of global travel
  • New technology and materials
  • Japanism 
  • The influence of 'The Primitive'
  • Science
  • Inner Necessity
  • American/abstract expressionism
Below are artworks form my favourite artists mentioned in the lecture.
 I really enjoy this piece by Magritte, 'Collection Invention" as it is very powerful at first sight. It captures the viewers eye and leads them into a thought process. The irony in the concept is great as its a take on a mermaid but in an unconventional way.
The main reason I like this scultpure by Rodin is because it shows the material in its natural state before any work has been done to it and then on top is an amazing sculpture showing the real contrast between the material after he has worked on it. It shows the beauty and softness in which it can be made into but keeping the purity below.

After the lecture I was very fortunate to have the chance to travel to St Ives and also look at St Micheal's Mount. I wanted to go onto the island but as arrived late the tide had already come in. Both places are beautiful and I would love to return to St Micheal's Mount on a morning as when the tide is out a pathway to the island appears.
Below are photo's which I have taken today but not edited yet.







No comments:

Post a Comment