Wednesday 27 October 2010

Day 33: Contextual Lecture and Life Drawing

Initially we were brought through the plan for the November assessment which was abit worrying but as I have been keeping up to date with my work it has been helping, but I am worried because the weekend before the assessment I am traveling to London and Bournemouth for open days and therefore will not be able to do any last minute finishing.


Post Modernism
  • everyday banality
  • cross cultural references
  • democracy
  • semiotics
  • material playfulness
  • feminism
  • environmentalism
This was the beginning of conceptual art, which I personally love.
I find that its not all about the piece but the hype and controversy surrounding it, which attracts a wide audience. This is shown in Duchamp's most famous work, 'Fountain', which was recently exhibited in a toilet!

Another series of artworks I think have strong conceptual ideas are Yasumasa Morimura and his outspoken artwork.
Below is an example of how Morimura would incorporate himself into traditional paintings to put across a different message.
The right is the original by Manet.

Another Artist mentioned was a name I recognised, Susan Philipsz. I recognised her as I have recently been looking at artworks up for the Turner Prize. She creates 'sound art' which changes a buildings architectural nature through sound. I think her location is key to her artwork and she has been very selective as played music under a bridge and in Tesco. Her artwork is inspirational as it reaches out to all audiences, such as shoppers in Tesco, not actually going to see artwork but stumbling into it.

Ori Gersht is another amazing artist who takes inspiration from old paintings and does a modern day response. He uses film and stills to capture a bullet piercing through still life. To the right is the original painting by Juan Cotan where Gersht got inspiration.
This is the link to Gersht's film clip with a bullet going through still life- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KMsrE3e30k
Whilst looking at the clip above I also found another video which is similar but think the message is really effective- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emP5D9Klssg&feature=related

Another controversial artist mentioned was Marc Quinn who created a statue of his own head using 5 litres of his own frozen blood (left).

Peter Randall was mentioned as an artist who is inspired by the environment but uses unconventional places. A piece of his work can be seen at the Eden Project which I hope to go to in the near future.




Life Drawing


No comments:

Post a Comment