Friday 22 October 2010

Day 30: Futures Lecture and Exhibition

Gary Allson- Designer

This lecture I found very helpful in terms of helping me to understand life choices. Gary Allson went through each stage of his life with us which I found most intriguing as he has changed his life path many times. After degree level he went into a design job, then theatre props, designing furniture, MA at Royal College of Art and then traveled to Bangladesh to teach. This just proves that I should always look for better opportunities in life and never have to follow just one pathway.  This has really helped me open my options as I am finding it difficult to chose a subject for my degree but I now realise it does not have to be a subject for the rest of my life but a subject I enjoy and can gain many skills from in a variety of areas.

I found his work basic but stylish and I think that is the right aim for design qualities. I am also a big fan of the woodwork he made through pattern as I find the surface texture very unusual. This lecture reaffirmed the idea in which art as a job is a very hard business as Gary Allson made the final model for the Angel of the North, which Antony Gormley later sold for over £1 million but Gary Allson didnt get any commission.
Keith Sparrow- Freelance Illustrator

I was not a big fan of illustration to begin with and I left the lecture feeling the same. The majority of the lecture I found rather average but some quotes like "art should be messy, not accurate" I completely agreed with. He also mentioned how important life drawing is in all aspects of art which I als agree with. Keith Sparrow mentioned that he was inspired by Todd Schorr in illustration. I have done further research into this artist and found his word very ironic and comical. Whilst I am not usually a big fan of illustration I found that because he has taken the popular subject of famous cartoon characters it means that all ages and audiences can appreciate his work.

After the lecture I went down to the Marine School to have a look at the final exhibition. I was really impressed with the amount and quality of work we have produced. I was very proud when I walked in and my fabric piece was at the entrance of the exhibition. My typography piece was also displayed.


No comments:

Post a Comment