Tuesday 26 October 2010

Day 32: Mini Workshops

Aspects of Composition
I enjoyed this workshop as we were able to put across opinions on artwork and indentify key facts to composition and to remember when studying artwork you should decode the image.
To remember the key points I have made up a rhyme:
Layout
Space
Persepective
Scale
Overlap
Tone
Colour

Little Spiders Place Snails On The Cupboard

Print Making
For print we started making stencils for the main workshop. I used the objects from the colour workshop to inspire me and made stencils both abstract and simple. I want to focus on the textures you can create using printing as I am interested in the surface texture.

Book Binding
This was really exciting as I had seen books which the group before made and they looked amazing. We just went though the process roughly of making a book and then looked at some artists books.

I liked the interaction idea in Plinitude by M.L Van Nice, as it involves the reader.







I was amazed by diderot/doubleday/deconstruction by Scott as it makes the viewer think twice about how this image was created. It gives the book depth and pattern but keeps the simple idea of a picture.

When I saw Spirit book by Suan Kapuscinski Gaylord it reminded me of an artwork I saw at the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition 2010 where a book was being protected by sticks around it. This book could be seen as the sticks coming out of the book, as it is spirited.




Photography
I really enjoyed the photography workshop as I found the teacher very helpful and intriguing to listen to. His stories form the business were very exciting and funny, but also showed his experience and wide knowledge within the subject area. He described photography as "archiving a disappearing world" which I thought was a lovely description and how representation within the photography/film world is very important. He used the amusing example of when Picasso was discussing his wife.
Picasso, speaking to an earnest philosopher.
Philosopher: "Mr. Picasso, the picture of your wife is striking but her face is quite distorted."
Picasso politely asks, in return, to see the philosopher's wife; the latter proudly removes the photograph from his wallet.
Picasso: "Indeed, your wife is extraordinarily beautiful, but I see she is very, very small."
http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/perspectives_on_science/summary/v007/7.2galison.html

No comments:

Post a Comment